Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 2, 2010

28
Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, postulated that human beings have a drive toward death as well as to survive. He called this drive or instinct "Thanatos." The devastation wrought by World War I only seemed to confirm his musings on this subject.

What are you thoughts about Freud's notion of a death instinct or drive? If you look inside, have you recognized an inexorable pull toward death?

Only on one occasion did I want to die. After twelve hours of unremitting pain due to a kidney stone, I wanted relief from the terrible pain. I didn't really want to die; I had only reached the limits of what I believed I could tolerate. I don't regard myself as a suicidal person, and I know with certainty that I don't want to die.

death poem
I haven't got
time for it

death poem
I'll get back to it
in 80 years

No comments:

Post a Comment